Saturday, June 29, 2013

First Tomatoes of the Season

My 6 year old and I had a father/daughter bonding experience the other day.  It's a tradition we started about 2 years ago and hopefully we'll continue it.  Near Mother's Day each year we plant the garden.  One of our favorite items from the garden is the tomato.  Nothing beats a fresh tomato straight out of the garden.  This is the third year in a row that my 6 year old carefully checks the plants a couple of times a week looking for the first ripe tomato.  The other day the first three appeared.


Immediately upon spotting them she asked if we could eat them.  How could I deny her request?  I wanted to eat them too!  So together, as father and daughter, we ate the first tomatoes of the season.  My 2 year old isn't to the age yet of understanding the special moment of eating the first ripe tomato of the year.  :-)  Maybe next year for her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment