Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rocket Launch

If you're a reader of this blog you already know that I love launching rockets with my daughters.  I think I get more excited about it than they do!  Our new rocket materials finally arrived and in the past week we've launched rockets on three separate days!


You can buy rocket materials relatively cheap from Estes Rockets (www.estesrockets.com).  They have expensive rockets, but they also have several that are less than $10.  The engines are usually around $10 for a 3 pack, but Hobby Lobby sells these and you can often find a 40% off one item coupon that drops the price significantly.

On one of our rocket launching adventures this week I took out our fancy camera in an attempt to snag some cool action shots.  I was not disappointed, as you can see below.



The launch happens so fast that you can't see the "flame" from the engine with your eye.  But with a high speed camera it shows up very nicely.  

The best part about rocket launching is taking your daughters tromping through a field to recover the rocket. On one attempt the wind took it and we had to hop in the car.  The rocket landed on the shoulder of a distant highway!  Thus far we've recovered every rocket we've launched!

Rocket launching isn't necessarily cheap, but it's an activity that I guarantee your kids will love!

No comments:

Post a Comment