Monday, June 3, 2013

Worried about Tornadoes

My 6 year old has learned about tornadoes in school this spring and had a couple of tornado drills.  Naturally tornadoes are scary to her.  Lately, she's been asking my wife and I about tornadoes and becomes scared whenever the wind outside picks up.  The other day we had a very strong 5 min storm that swept through with high winds.  The wind was strong enough that I had to climb on the roof and fix a couple of shingles that were loose.  During the storm my 6 year old became terrified and kept asking if this was a tornado.  I can understand her concern since the wind speed was ridiculously high.  We explained to her that it wasn't a tornado, but that didn't seem to help her.

The good thing about all of this is that it has been a good opportunity to reinforce tornado safety to her.  Staying away from windows, taking cover in the house, the proper way to take cover, and how to protect against a tornado if you are driving in a car at the time.

If you haven't taught your kids about tornado safety, please do so.  It could be the difference between life and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment