Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Planting Sunflower Seeds

This past weekend we went to a local garden event at the farmer's market.  While there we passed a booth that was set up for kids to plant a sunflower seed.  Both of my daughter's planted one of the seeds in a small cup.


Later we transplanted them into the garden.  I have no idea what type of sunflower's these are, but I guess we'll find out.  I've said this before, but I'll say it here again.  Planting something in a garden, or a pot in the house, or in the landscaping along the house, or anywhere else, is a great opportunity to teach your kids about growing a plant.  With a plant, kids learn about appropriate sunlight, the importance of fertilizing and watering it, and if in a garden, the importance of keeping competing weeds away from the plant.  It's a good opportunity to teach your child responsibility.  If you're not responsible in taking care of the plant, it will quickly die.  

No comments:

Post a Comment