Monday, July 29, 2013

Respecting Others

As a father, I want to make sure that my two girls learn to respect others at all times.  I've determined that the best way to teach them respect is to set a good example.  In other words, if I want them to be respectful to others then I need to show them that I'm also respectful to others.  For the most part we practice saying please and thank you to others.  For example, both of my kids know that the local library has a stash of suckers behind the desk.  Sometimes the librarian offers a sucker, sometimes he/she doesn't.  It usually depends on who is behind the desk at that particular time.  If a sucker isn't offered, I've taught my daughters that they need to nicely ask for one and follow it up with a thank you.

Respect is much more than saying please and thank you.  Here's an example.  Last month, while on vacation, we were eating at an Asian buffet.  The waitress who came buy to take our drink order spoke English, but the English wasn't great and you could tell there was a language barrier there.  At the table behind us was a family with kids.  The father (or so I think) asked for a glass of water with "lots and lots" of lemons, as he put it.  Okay, side note time.  If you want lemonade, just ask for a lemonade.  Don't ask for lots and lots of lemons.  The water might be free, but it costs the restaurant $$$ to buy the lemons!  Okay, back to the main point.  It was obvious that the waitress did not understand his request  and came back with a water with one lemon in it.  The guy then threw a hissy fit.  "What's this?  I asked for lots and lots of lemons!  What is so hard to understand about that?!?!?!"  He said this in a very loud voice with his family at the table.  

There is simply no reason for this kind of outburst.  His request was not a common one (because most people will just buy the lemonade!), and she clearly did not understand it.  The proper way to handle this situation is to calmly ask for a small bowl of lemon slices.  That's it.  Instead he made a fool of himself (at least in my mind) and set a horrible example for his kids.  If I ever pull a stupid stunt like this I hope that someone, preferably my daughters, calls me out on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment