Friday, July 12, 2013

"Teenage" Birds

A while back I posted about a nest of baby birds my 6 year old and I found in a tree in our backyard.  We then let them be for several days and went on vacation.  The day after returning from vacation we went out to check the nest to see how the baby birds were doing.  To both of our surprise, the birds had grown significantly!  They were sitting in the nest, but sitting on the edge.  Once we approached they flew off.  Later in the day we saw them on the deck, seen below.


Okay, granted, the picture isn't very good because I'm trying to take it through the screen window, but those are two of the "baby" birds.  You can't really tell in the picture, but they are still more "furish" then featherish. Just made up a couple of words there. :-) I did a Google search and found that typical birds leave the nest in 2-4 weeks, so that makes sense. 

Although our observations were short lived, it was cool showing my daughters the baby birds with no feathers and now seeing them again with feathers and flying around.  Very cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment