Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Upper Peninsula Trip #6: Ticks

Over the course of my life I've lived in three different Midwest states.  As a result, I've been warned to watch out for ticks when hiking through the woods or tall grass.  Given this, one would think that I've come across a tick in my life, but the answer is no, I haven't.  At least knowingly.  Maybe as a small child my parents removed a tick, but I have no memories of this.  On our Upper Peninsula trip we encountered many, many, many ticks!  The people up there (Yoopers!) said that it was a banner year for ticks.  Every night at the campfire we found ticks crawling on our clothes.  Among the four members in my family, we only found 2 attached ticks, so that's good.  But every night we had to do a thorough tick check.  We usually found at least one.  We even stuffed our jeans into our sucks to prevent them from getting in, but they still found ways.  One night I found one underneath my foot in my shoe!

Despite the large number of ticks we had a great time, and it was a learning experience for my daughters.  Now when someone tells them to watch for ticks, they know what they are looking for.  

Want to see a disgusting tick picture?  See below.  Ticks gone wild on a dog!

Lucyin / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)
This makes me glad we don't own a dog and don't have to deal with this!

1 comment:

  1. Trust me, that dog was abused, too bad you don't own a dog they are awesome.

    ReplyDelete