Friday, July 26, 2013

Subway Kids' Meals

Sometimes businesses make decisions that I simply do not understand.  Subway is one of these businesses.  My daughters love to eat at Subway.  They will almost always choose Subway over McDonald's, so as a parent, I'm happy about this.  A Subway kids' meal includes a 4 inch sandwich and is cheaper than the regular 6 inch meal that adults purchase.

My 6 year old always gets a turkey sandwich on wheat with lettuce.  Nothing else.  Sounds kind of bland to me, but more power to her for liking a sandwich that doesn't come with the other ingredients that can add calories and fat.  

What bothers me about the Subway kids' meals is the method by which they make the sandwich.  They take a regular 6 inch section of bread and cut of 2 inches at the end.  Then they throw the 2 inches away!!!  What a waste!  I understand why the sandwich is shorter.  It's cheaper than a 6 inch, so Subway doesn't want to include 6 inches of meat and ingredients.  I get that.  But tossing away the bread?  That's simply wasteful.  Either develop a loaf of bread that is 4 inches long (or 8 to cut it in half and get 2 sandwiches), or let the kid keep the 2 inches of bread as a side item.  Maybe these solutions aren't perfect and there may be better solutions, but simply tossing the 2 inches is the worst possible solution.  

1 comment: