Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Parenting and Firstborns

Here's an interesting article regarding the differences in parenting style between firstborns and younger siblings.

Parents are Tougher on Firstborns

The gist of the article is that parents are tougher and more strict on their first child than they are on subsequent children.  I spent some time thinking about how my wife and I parent our two daughters.  I'm not sure that I'm more strict on my oldest, but there is definitely a difference in how we parent them.  A lot of this has to do with their personalities.  My 6 year old is shy yet very focused on her surroundings.  She has a type A personality that takes after me.  My 3 year old is the wild one.  She's more outgoing but also more prone to mood swings.  As a result, similar situations require different parenting methods.

Anyways, it's a very interesting article that I recommend you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment