Monday, December 23, 2013

Cooling a Chicken Nugget

The other day at dinner we were having chicken.  My wife and I had a chicken breast of some type and my daughters were eating chicken nuggets.  We all know that food straight out of the oven or straight off of the stove is hot.  We all know from experience that if you don't want to burn your tongue or mouth that you need to let that food cool.  Both of my daughters were complaining about how hot their chicken nuggets were and they were impatient.  We've told them to blow on their food to cool it down and we've cut their nuggets in half before, but for some reason this time I decided to geek it out!


While cutting their chicken nuggets I explained that cutting them allows them to cool down faster, but then I geeked it up by taking the explanation further.  I said that the outeer crust of the chicken nugget acts as an insulator and keeps the energy trapped inside the chicken nugget.  Thus the chicken nugget remains hot inside.  Cutting the chicken nugget lets the energy escape into the air.  Energy transfers from the hotter object (in this case the chicken nugget) to the cooler object (in this case the air).  

They were staring at me a bit weird.  LOL!  

No comments:

Post a Comment