Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Superstitions

On Thanksgiving day this year my wife and I had to have a talk with our 6 year old about superstitions and myths.  She was in the kitchen helping grandma with the turkey and grandma (through no fault of her own) pulled out the wishbone in the turkey and told my daughter to go have Mommy or Daddy help her break it.  So she came to me and had me grab one end and her the other.  I had the small end, so when we pulled it broke on my side so she earned to right to make a wish.  This is where trouble set in.


She didn't know what to wish for and after a few minutes of thinking, started to cry.  Granted, she had already had a long day and was tired, but she was also really worried about her wish and whether it would come true.  So my wife and I sat down with her and chatted about superstitions.  We said the wishbone breaking wish thing is just a superstition that people do for fun.  It doesn't make your wish come true.  We said that sometimes people wish for things and sometimes those wishes come true and sometimes they don't.  And if they do come true it's not simply because you wished for it.  My daughter is already skeptical about certain things and I want to continue to reinforce her skepticism over unbacked claims.  We also said that wishes don't always come true (like getting everything you want for Christmas or a sick person not getting better, etc.).  In the end this made her feel better so she wished for Playdoh for Christmas.
My wife and I certainly didn't anticipate this question, but the opportunity presented itself and given the emotional state my 6 year old was in, we had to step in and say something about wishes and how they do or do not come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment