Thursday, March 20, 2014

Cosmos - The Asteroid Belt

If you haven't already, get out and watch Cosmos, starring Neil deGrasse Tyson.  Watch it with your kids!!!  An absolutely amazing documentary on science/astronomy.  Thus far 2 of the 13 episodes have aired.

There's one science item I must point out as "wrong" in the first episode.  As Tyson's ship travels outward in the Solar System, it passes through the asteroid belt, located between Mars and Jupiter.  The animation gives the false impression that asteroids are very close to each other in space.  In fact, asteroids are millions of miles apart from each other.

I understand the producers were trying to show that there are more asteroids in this region than others in space, but it's simply too hard to illustrate this without giving a false impression of closeness.

I'm certainly not holding this against the show.  Cosmos is simply amazing, so watch it!  I'm just being nit-picky...because I can!  Having a Ph.D. in astrophysics gives me that freedom!  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment