Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Cosmos With Neil deGrasse Tyson

If you haven't yet, you MUST watch Cosmos, hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson.  It's a 13 episode science/astronomy documentary on Fox.  The second episode aired this last Sunday, 3/16.

Cosmos

I'm not sure how often it will re-broadcast on Fox, but I heard it's showing on the National Geographic Channel.  It's also on Hulu Plus if you are a subscriber, which is how I watch it.

The original Cosmos series aired in 1980, hosted by the legendary Carl Sagan.  Carl Sagan greatly contributed to the exploration of space by working with many missions/studies in the 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s.  He passed away in 1996.  What made Sagan great, however, was his ability to deliver detailed information to the general public (non-scientists), in a very clear and exciting way.   I've never watched the original Cosmos series, but have read several of Sagan's books.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is from the same mold as Sagan.  He does an absolutely amazing job delivering information in an exciting, clearly understandable way.  As host of the new Cosmos series, he has done an excellent job!  I've only watched the first episode at this point, but I was absolutely mesmerized!  I watched it with both of my daughters.  My 7 year old was amazed.  My 3 year old didn't want to watch it, but as soon as it turned on, she was quiet and focused on the TV.  She was mesmerized too!

I highly recommend you watch Cosmos and definitely watch it with your kids!  It's a great family learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment