Saturday, September 29, 2012

Backyard Nature

Last night both of my daughters were playing in the backyard while I was making dinner.  All of a sudden my 5 year old comes running up to the screen door excitedly yelling "Daddy, come quick!  Look at this cool bug we found!  Hurry!  Hurry!"  So I quickly ran outside where I saw my two year old crouched over something.  I honestly had no idea what to expect, but what they found was a classic caterpillar.  They were both super excited about their discovery.  We talked briefly about caterpillars and I showed them they could touch it.  I also said that some caterpillars grow to become butterflies.  This really excited them!  They both ran to find a small cup from the sandbox and scooped the caterpillar up and put him in.  They wanted to keep him inside the house, but I stopped them there.  They settled for sitting the cup outside next to the door.  

My kids' amazing discovery!

At bed my 5 year old talked about seeing the caterpillar in the morning.  I expected this little guy to be long gone by morning, but didn't want to disappoint her before bed time.  I figured I would handle the disappointment in the morning.  When morning arrived she ran out to the porch and excitedly yelled back "he's still here!"  Sure enough, the caterpillar was still there!

Still there!

So you don't have to travel far to experience nature.  Encourage your kids to explore in your backyard.  You never know what they might find.  In addition to the caterpillar, they let a grasshopper into the house.  Let me tell you, that guy was fun to catch!

P.S.  This is my 100th blog post!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment