Friday, September 28, 2012

Magazines and Books

The last two days have been pretty exciting for my 5 year old in terms of what she's received in the mail and from school.  Two days ago she received the first copy of National Geographic for Kids.  She was a previous subscriber of National Geographic for Little Kids but has begun to outgrow that magazine.  We kept the Little Kids subscription for our younger daughter and added Kids for our oldest.  She actually received two editions (September and October) on the same day.  She very quickly opened it up, skimmed through it, and started to cut out the animal trading cards that each issue contains.  Over the next month we'll sit down together and talk about some of the cool science presented in each issue.

National Geographic of Kids

Yesterday my 5 year old comes running off the school bus all excited to tell me that the teacher gave her books.  At first I thought she went to the school library, but then she tells me the books are hers to keep.  Her Scholastic book order had arrived.  I mentioned in a previous post how excited I was as a kid whenever a book order arrived and I was excited this time too, especially seeing how excited my daughter was.  If I remember correctly we ordered 6 books, one of which was a planets book.




She was excited about the planets book.  We flipped through it quickly and it appears to be an excellent book.  I'll be fact checking it as I read it with her, but I have no reason to suspect that there's incorrect information.  She wanted to read it right away (that's my daughter!) but we had to get ready for a soccer game.  It's definitely on the agenda for bed time reading this week!

I encourage all parents to take advantage of Scholastic book orders if your school offers them.  Granted, there's a cost, but many of the books are cheaper than what you could buy them for in a book store or online.  In fact, there were a handful of books on sale for $1.  Can't beat that price.  And the seeing the excitement in your child when she/he receives the books is priceless.




No comments:

Post a Comment