Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Power of Duct Tape

This afternoon while I was mowing the lawn I reminded myself of a skill I must teach my two daughters.  It's a skill that every successful human being has learned at some point in his/her life.  What's this ever-so-important skill?  It's the understanding of the power of duct tape.  If you understand the many uses of duct tape you'll find it can get you out of many tricky situations.  Today was a perfect example for me.  Halfway through mowing my backyard the handle of my lawn mower broke in two!  Since I couldn't push the mower with a broken handle I was faced with a dilemma.  Should I quit for the day or find a way to rig it?  I decided to rig it and try to finish mowing.  I only had about 45 minutes before a very important football game was about to begin (every time my favorite team plays it's an important game!).  My first thought was duct tape.  I shoved two screws into the handle of the mower to serve as a splint and then proceeded to wrap it tightly in duct tape.  Of course I ran out of duct tape.  I think I broke some sort of man law here.  All true men should have a backup supply of duct tape in case of emergencies.  I finished the taping with packing tape.

Duct tape (and packing tape) saves the day!

The tape job held up pretty well, at least until I can figure out a more permanent solution.  Knowing me, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the tape job is the permanent solution but we all know that is wishful thinking.  As punishment for not having a backup supply of duct tape my weed wacker ran out of weed wacking line with only 25% of the job completed.  No way to rig this except go to the store and buy more line.  Well, I suppose I could try to rig a man made weed wacking line with tiny strips of duct tape, but that would take several hours and as I already mentioned, I'm out of duct tape.

No way to rig this.

Today I added two things to my to do list:

1.  Teach my daughters about duct tape.

2.  Buy more duct tape.


No comments:

Post a Comment