Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Science Fail!

Yesterday I made a big Science Fail mistake in front of my daughters.  While loading both of my daughters into the car, my 5 year old started digging through this little cooler we had packed.  She pulled a drink from the cooler and then didn't close the cooler back up.  I said to her "Close the cooler!  You'll let all of the cold out!"  The moment I said that it was a palm to face moment for me.  Here's why.

Heat is the energy transfer from the hotter object to the cooler object.  Always from hot to cold.  So the statement "You'll let all of the cold out" makes no sense.  It's not the cold that leaves the cooler.  It's energy from the warm air outside of the cooler that transfers to the cool air inside.

Even the Cool Science Dad makes mistakes in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment