Sunday, September 2, 2012

Checking My Own Misconceptions

I try my best to avoid passing along misconceptions to others, especially kids.  Despite this, there are times when I realize that in my quest to pass along the facts, I may be inadvertently passing along a misconception that I had no intention of passing along.  The size of the Sun is a perfect example.

NASA/SDO (AIA) [Public domain]

In my Astro 100 classes (for junior/senior high school students and college students) I discuss with my students that most stars in our Galaxy are smaller than the Sun.  The smaller the star, the more common it is.  However, when talking about multiple properties of the Sun, I often label the Sun as a "normal" star.  Here are a few reasons why:

1.  There are stars much smaller than the Sun and there are stars much bigger than the Sun.

2.  There are stars less massive than the Sun and stars more massive than the Sun.

3.  There are stars hotter than the Sun and stars cooler than the Sun.  

4.  There are stars that live longer than the Sun and stars that live much shorter lives than the Sun.  

5.  On the visible color spectrum (red to blue) the Sun sits in the middle as a yellow/green star.  

I've never had the intention of passing along to my students that most stars are similar in properties to the Sun.  I've always tried to make it clear that cooler, smaller stars are much more common in the Galaxy than the Sun.  I fear, however, that by using the term "normal" I've unintentionally taught my students just the opposite.  When did I come to the conclusion that I might be passing along a misconception?  When I read one of a series of Sun facts posted by the Bad Astronomer.  It really got me thinking about the terminology I use in class and I can assure you that this year's discussion on the Sun will no include the word 'normal'.

No comments:

Post a Comment