Thursday, February 21, 2013

Date Night with Your Daughter

I encourage all dads out there to take some time to have the occasional date night with their daughter.  I was thinking about this the other day and came to the realization that the frequency at which my oldest daughter and I have a date night is much greater than that of my youngest daughter.  At least it seems that way.  Some of this is natural simply because my 5 year old was here for 3 years before my 2 year old arrived in this world.  That naturally set up several daddy/daughter date nights.

Earlier this week my wife and 5 year old had a Girl Scouts event after school, leaving me and my 2 year old with an evening to ourselves.  It was at this point I realized that I haven't spent as much time with JUST my 2 year old as I probably should.  It's not that I don't spend time with her.  I spend a lot of time with her, but that time also includes my 5 year old and my wife.  When I realized this, I decided that my 2 year old and I were going out for dinner on a date night.

Date night with your daughter  doesn't have to be anything fancy.  It just needs to be you and your daughter out doing something.  In our case this week, my 2 year old wanted chicken nuggets at McDonald's   Again, nothing fancy, but that's what she wanted, so we went to McDonald's   She wanted me to sit on the same side of the booth as her.  Who was I to argue!?!?!  We had a great dinner together!

To all the dads out there, make sure you're taking advantage of these moments when you can.  It's easy to let them slip by and suddenly your daughter will be fully grown and those opportunities will no longer be there.  Kids, especially daughters, grow up way too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment