Monday, February 25, 2013

Myopia and Time Spent Outside

I recently read an article about an interesting study linking myopia (nearsightedness) and time spent outside.  Here's the link to the article:

Myopia and Time Spent Outside

As parents, we are encouraged to read to our kids every day and encourage them to read on their own.  There are several studies that link reading to increased success in school and beyond school.  I find it humorous that because of this, it appears that the rate of myopia in society is quickly increasing!

I also find it interesting that the link between nearsightedness and genetics is not as strong as it was once thought.  I myself am nearsighted.  Both of my parents are nearsighted.  I love to read.  I spent a lot of time indoors reading.  At the same time I lived on a farm and spent a lot of time outside playing.  I played baseball every year as a kid...outside.  Do I have myopia because I didn't spend enough time outside as a kid?  Or was it genetics?  I'll probably never know nor do I really care.  I certainly wouldn't give up reading to spend more time outside!

This makes me wonder about my daughters.  Their eyesight is currently normal for their age.  But will they develop myopia in the future?  Maybe.  My 5 year old loves to read.  She probably spends more time inside than I did as a kid since we live in town and not on a farm where one is more likely to be outside.  Then again, both of their parents are nearsighted.  So who knows?

I guess my point here is to not to worry too much about studies such as this.  They are interesting, but I wouldn't change my life because of it.  It's more important to limit your kids' screen time.  Limit the amount of time they are playing video games and/or watching TV.  Encourage them to use that extra time to play outside or read.

No comments:

Post a Comment