Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Making a Duck Call Whistle

Okay, so I'm not sure if this whistle sounds anything like a duck call, but it was fun to make with my daughters.  I found this idea on Science Bob's Experiment site.  The basic idea is to take a few plastic straws, flatten one end, and cut a triangle shape into the end.  Here are our pictures.



Now you blow into the end you just cut.  It may take a bit of practice to figure out where best to put your lips and teeth, but eventually you'll get a sorta duck call sound.  This is harder for kids because their lungs aren't as big and they can't blow out as much air, but my 5 year old was eventually able to get it to work.  After this we experimented a bit by attaching straws to each other.  We ended up making several different sounds.  I'd play the videos for you, but the sounds are very annoying on the video.  You'll just have to try it out for yourself!







No comments:

Post a Comment