Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Opening a Cereal Box Correctly

Go ahead and classify this post under silly science, but it's science nonetheless.  If you're a regular reader of this blog, you are aware that I'm a cereal snob.  Both of my daughters are big fans of cereal.  There are at least 5-6 cereal boxes in our house at one time and usually it's much more than that.  Whenever it's my turn to get groceries, you can guarantee that I'm bringing home several boxes/bags of cereal.  Having said that, I've come to realize that I need to sit down with my daughters (and my wife!) and teach them the proper way to open a box of cereal.  The image I took below is NOT the proper way to open a box of cereal.


Notice how the edges of the plastic are all torn and ripped?  Yep, whoever opened this box failed big time!  Why is this a problem?  Well, if the plastic packaging is ripped, the cereal gets caught in the edges of the plastic when it's poured into the bowl.  Then the cereal pieces end up falling outside of the packaging between the plastic and the cardboard box.  In addition, the next time someone pours a bowl of cereal from this box it's inevitable that several pieces will catch the edges of the packaging and shoot off in random directions, missing the bowl and clattering on the counter top and/or floor.  

Here, in the image I took below, is the proper way to open a package of cereal.


Notice how the plastic packaging is not ripped?  This is how you open a package of cereal.  Cereal pieces fall into the bowl without escaping, and no pieces get stuck between the plastic and the cardboard.  I think I need to hold a family meeting to discuss this very serious issue.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment