Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Growing Triops: Attempt Two

This past Christmas my 8 year old received a triops kit as a gift.  A triops is a genus of small crustaceans whose fossils date back to 300 million years ago.  I first wrote about this on January 19, 2015.  At that time we were unsuccessful.  None of the triops hatched, but I had a good reason why.  The triops needed a warm water temperature no cooler than 72 degrees F.  In the winter we keep our house cooler than this and the water temperature likely did not exceed 66-68 degrees F.  Now that summer is well underway, we are giving this another shot.  We saved half the eggs, setup a tank of water, let it warm to room temp, and are keeping our fingers crossed!  We also placed the container next to a window for the sunlight to warm it further.  The temp should not drop below 72 deg F.


The eggs are supposed to hatch in 2-4 days, so hopefully by the end of this week or beginning of next week I'll have pictures of triops to show you!  If not, then I have no idea what I'm doing wrong because I've dotted all the i's and crossed the t's according to the instructions!

No comments:

Post a Comment