Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Movie Review - Goosebumps

The other week my wife and I took our kids to see Goosebumps at the theater.  The Goosebumps movie is based on the Goosebumps book series by R. L. Stine.  In fact, Stine makes an appearance in the movie!  As a kid I read several R. L. Stine books, although I don’t remember if any were officially in the Goosebumps series.  


My daughters are 8 and 5 and both enjoyed the movie as did my wife and I.  There are some scary parts in the movie, but our 5 year old handled them fine.  The scary parts are more along the lines of scary looking monsters and not truly scary in terms of a typical horror movie.  You always have the sense the main characters will be fine and aren't truly in danger. It kind of depends on your kid as to whether he/she is old enough to see this movie.  Our 5 year old was fine and our 8 year old loved it!  There were funny parts, serious parts, and parts that might be a tad scary, but overall we all enjoyed the movie.

As for the science, well, it's not meant to be scientifically accurate.  The Ferris wheel rolling around was the one unbelievable part I may have liked to have seen altered.  The wheel travels through too much of the forest to be able to get through without hitting a tree.  In addition, the amusement park in the forest was stated as never opening, yet has full electricity and everything works fine.  Not believable.  Given the nature of the movie, however, I'm just being very picky!  After all, monsters magically appear out of books, so I can't complain too much about science accuracy.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment