Monday, January 18, 2016

Star Wars Episode #2 - Movie Review

Over the Christmas break while visiting family, my daughters and I watched Star Wars Episodes #2 and #3.  My oldest has seen 4, 5, and 6, but had not seen 1, 2, and 3, yet.  My cousin had just watched Episode #1, so we started with #2 on this trip, but I first explained to her what happened in Episode #1.  We'll watch it at a later time.

For starters, Episodes 1, 2, and 3 are not very good.  I'm not saying you shouldn't seen them or show them to your kids, but I highly, highly recommend you start with the originals, 4, 5, and 6.


In my opinion, Episode #2 is the worst of them all.  I watched it in the theater when it first came out 13+ years ago and was disgusted by it.  As a result, I, until this Christmas, had never seen Episode #3.  I just didn't want to bother with it after watching #2.  My biggest problem with Episode #2 is the large number of contrived love/romance scenes.  It's not that I don't like a movie with romance, but I thought it was overly done in this movie.  The topper for me was when Annakin and Padme were rolling around in a field on their picnic.  Ug...so manufactured and unbelievable.  

There are a few good fight scenes.  There's a fight scene with Yoda which is kind of neat to watch, but overall this is just a very bad movie.  My daughters enjoyed it, but they'll enjoy any movie at this point in their lives.  :-)  

To conclude, if you are a Star Wars fan, show your kids this movie, but don't be surprised if they think it sucks too, especially if they watched the originals first.  

No comments:

Post a Comment