Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Fear of Water

It's amazing to me how two girls, with the same parents can be so different in so many ways.  I'm speaking of my two daughters, of course.  The oldest is 6 and the youngest is 2, closing in on 3.  We started swim lessons with my 6 year old when she was 3.  She was extremely tentative and clung to Mommy and Daddy with a death grip.  She's gotten a bit better, but is still very tentative and has this look of fear on her face whenever she gets near a pool.  We were in a pool not too long ago and even though she could touch the bottom with her whole head above the water, she freaked out when we let go of her.

My 2 year old, on the other hand, is fearless.  She'd climb on the edge and do a big jump into the water, over and over and over.  She kept telling me to scoot farther away from the ledge so she could jump farther.  She had a blast in the water during our last pool excursion.

I'm not sure what to do with our 6 year old.  I fully understand having a fear of something.  For most of my life I was deathly afraid of heights.  Even standing a few feet above the ground on a ladder would freak me out.  I'm a bit better now, but if you put me in the right situation with heights, I will clam up and freak out.

In hindsight we should have started parent-child swim lessons with my oldest daughter when she was younger.  We started my 2 year old when she was just 18 months.  I can't say that that is the reason for her comfort level in water, but it may have played a roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment