Friday, May 10, 2013

Step Count Stats

Yep, here's a post that focuses on my geeky side.  I'm been wearing a step counter everyday for about 3-4 months.  I've tracked my step count in Excel and generated a graph showing the 7 day average, 14 day average, and 30 day average.


If the graph isn't clear, the red dots mark the 7 day average, the purple x's mark the 14 day average, and the blue diamonds mark the 30 day average.  There's more noise and day to day variations in the lower day averages.  My goal is to average 10,000+ steps per day.  Back in February and early march I was below 10,000, but with the weather getting better I've been spending more time outside and my numbers are now approaching an average of 12,000 steps per day.

If you don't have a step counter, I encourage you to get one.  They are relatively cheap.  You can get good ones for around $20 or less.  Having the counter on me at all times keeps me aware of my activity as the day progress.  If I'm having a lazy morning, I know I need to pick up my activity in the afternoon and/or evening. The counter is a greater motivational tool to help me stay more active.

No comments:

Post a Comment