Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Garfield Books

When I was a kid I fell in love with the Garfield comic strip.  As with most comics, Garfield strips were collected together in books.  During my childhood I collected the first 30 books of strips.  There are 55 plus Treasury books and other special collection books.  My Garfield books have been stored in a box in my garage since leaving college.  My 6 year old learned I had these and was super excited.  She watches the Garfield cartoon show and wanted to read the books herself.  You can imagine my excitement at this.  A couple of days later we dug them out of the garage and found a place on her bookshelf for them.


I find it exciting that my daughter is interested in some of the same books that I was as a kid.  As an additional science bonus, I showed my daughter the bottom of of each of the books.


See the discoloration?  It's the exact same length on each book.  This is smoke damage from a house fire at my house when I was a senior in high school.  My bookshelf at the time wasn't as deep and the books extended out from the shelf a bit.  The bit hanging over the shelf edge is discolored due to smoke.  


No comments:

Post a Comment