Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Talking to Your Daughter About Her Body

My wife found another great article she passed my way which discusses how to talk to your daughter about her body.

http://hopeave.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/how-to-talk-to-your-daughter-about-her-body/

The key in being successful about talking to your daughter about her body is to not talk to her about her body except in very general terms.  The article give a few examples that are okay to use along with some that are never okay to use.  It's a very good article and I definitely recommend you read it.  It's relatively short too.

My wife and I have talked about how we eat and how we talk about our own bodies.  How a parent talks about his/her own body can have a profound impact on how a son/daughter looks at his/her own body.  For example, for about a two week stretch I was tracking my nutrition intake.  When my daughter asked about it, I didn't tell her it was an effort to lose weight (which it wasn't) or to make myself look better (which let's admit, has a hint of truth behind it).  Instead, I told her I was tracking my salt intake because eating too much salt can be bad for you, which is the truth and I was interested in learning more about my salt intake.

Talking about diets, your body's looks, losing weight, being fat, etc., etc., are big no no's around kids.  Avoid at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment