Friday, September 6, 2013

Sequence for Kids

Ever play the board/card game Sequence at any point in your life?  If not, you've missed out on a lot of fun.

If you've never played, the goal of the game is to get a sequence of 5 chips in a row.  You have a set of cards in your hand and when it's your turn you lay down a card and put a chip on that card's place on the board.  My 6 year old has fun playing this, but it's a bit difficult for my 3 year old to understand the whole idea of playing cards and suits.  Fortunately there is a Sequence for Kids version that is perfect for my 3 year old.


Instead of suited playing cards you have animal cards.  When it's your turn you lay a chip down that matches one of the animals on your card.  Perfect for both my 3 year old and 6 year old at the same time.  For my 3 year old it's a great matching game.  For my 6 year old, I've started teaching her some strategy, especially on the defensive side of the game.  It's one thing to play offense and work on getting your own "sequence", but sometimes you don't have the cards for that and need to stop someone else from getting a "sequence".  That's where the strategy comes into play.

So there you go, another board game to get your kids thinking critically and having fun at the same time!


No comments:

Post a Comment