Monday, September 16, 2013

Setting a Good Example

Much of teaching your kids to respect others is to set a good example and respect others yourself.  I took my 6 year old to a football game last weekend and witnessed a big parent failure.  There were several bouncy houses set up at the game and at halftime I took my daughter over to them.  She picked the one she wanted to bounce in and we got in line.  It wasn't a long line with her starting 3rd in line.  While we were waiting, another little girl, about 3 years old, came running up to the bouncy house and squeezed herself right in front of my daughter.  Okay, not a problem, 3 year olds will do that when they are excited.  The dad, however, did nothing!  He watched her budge in line and then smiled.  Smiled!  What, because she's 3 years old it's okay to budge?  Come on dad, set an example by pulling her out of line and moving her to the back.  If that was my 3 year old (and trust me, my 3 year old would do that), I'd immediately pull her out and explain to her that we needed to go to the back of the line.  That dad blew a great teaching moment and the fact that he smiled at her while she budged tells me that the dad thought it was okay that she ignored the line and budged.  Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment