Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Summer Science Camps

This is the last week of May, meaning school is already out or school will be out soon for the summer depending on where you live. June is typically the month when many summer science camps take place. There are some in July and August, but here in the eastern midwest where I live it seems that there are more in June than July/August. Some camps may already be full, but I bet there are quite a few camps with openings for kids. There are single day camps, week camps, overnight camps, etc. If you are the parent of an elementary or middle school child (and high school for the more advanced camps), I highly encourage you to take a look at what is offered in our area or near your area.

Where to look? Check out local universities and colleges, check out your local school district, and check out your local libraries and museums. These are the most common sources offering summer camps to kids. I've taught a summer science camp on and off for several years. Last year was an on year for me, as is this year. This year is a bit different as we received a small grant from NASA to develop a week long engineering challenge camp. I am very excited for this camp. NASA brought me in to the NASA Glenn Research Center Cleveland, Ohio for training and I picked up many great ideas and supply lists for some specific building/engineering challenges!

So check your local sources for science camps. I know many were brought in for the NASA engineering challenge, so you may well have a camp on this offered in your area!

No comments:

Post a Comment