Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Why People Believe Weird Things - Book Review

Love of Books

I love books and am always on the look out for new (or old) authors and new series to read. I have far too many books at home, but I keep adding to my collection and I highly doubt I'll ever stop!

Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer

I have a few books on the topic of skepticism by Michael Shermer, but they've sat on my bookshelf for over a year without being picked up. I decided that needed to end so I picked up 'Why People Believe Weird Things.


This is a fascinating read! Shermer takes the reader through UFO abductions and other odd beliefs. He mainly focuses on the push to remove evolution from the classroom and Holocaust denial. I knew there were Holocaust deniers out there, but I had no idea how long the belief the Holocaust was faked has existed nor did I have an understanding of the efforts deniers have taken to trick and confuse the public. 

I particularly enjoyed the final chapter in which Shermer discusses why smart people believe weird things. We are all subject to confirmation bias in our lives, and every one of us, no matter how smart, is prone to pseudo scientific thinking. It's important to constantly question our own beliefs to avoid falling in the trap of believing pseudoscience, or as Shermer puts it, believing in weird things.

A great book that will really get you thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment